The Virginia Tech Choirs are open to all Virginia Tech students, whether undergraduate or graduate, of any major. Under the direction of Dr. Dwight Bigler, the choirs sing the finest choral repertoire from all time periods and genres.
Chamber Singers - Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays, 3:35 to 5:15 p.m.
- We have performed at VMEA and ACDA conferences, the Washington National Cathedral, and Carnegie Hall.
- We recently did a tour in the summer of 2012, through Italy, where we sang in the Vatican, St. Mark's in Venice, Rome, and Florence, and are currently planning a future trip to another European country.
- We have collaborated with the American Opera Theater and regularly perform with the New River Valley Symphony Orchestra.
- Chamber Singers is the most select choral ensemble on campus.
If you are interested in being considered for Chamber Singers, you must:
- Audition by the first Wednesday of fall semester
- Bring a prepared solo to your audition (classical art song, folk song, hymn, or Broadway ballad that shows classical-style singing)
- Pass the standard audition (see audition requirements for VT Women's Chorus and Tech Men above).
Tech Men - Mondays & Thursdays, 5:30 to 6:55 p.m.
- We are an audience favorite, performing music from the Renaissance to Barbershop and vocal jazz, spanning diverse international cultures.
- With a sound uniquely our own, we infuse concerts with richness of harmony, humor, and inspiring majesty.
- We rehearse on Mondays with the Women's Chorus and frequently join the other VT choirs to perform major works for choir and orchestra.
Women's Chorus - Mondays & Wednesdays, 5:30 to 6:55 p.m.
- Our Women's Chorus is a dynamic organization specializing in the wonderfully diverse repertoire for women's voices.
- We were the founding choir of the first Mid-Atlantic Women's Chorus Festival with guest choirs from three states.
- We rehearse on Mondays with the Tech Men and frequently combine with the other VT choirs to perform major works for choir and orchestra.
A Note on Joining the VT Women's Chorus and Tech Men
For entrance into these ensembles, you must pass an audition that includes vocalizing throughout your range, a short sight-reading exercise, tonal memory repetitions, and a familiar song (such as "My Country Tis of Thee," "Amazing Grace," or "Happy Birthday"). You do not need to bring a prepared solo.
Returning Members: All returning members of all choirs must sign-up for an audition each fall semester. Auditions begin on the Thursday before each semester, and all returning singers interested in Chamber Singers must complete their audition by the first Wednesday of the semester. Sign-up sheets will be posted by Dr. Bigler's office during the week before each semester. Please complete your audition early so new students can audition during the first week of classes!