Areas of Expertise
Production/Research Areas: Director, Dialect Coach, Acting, Communicating Science
Teaching Areas: Voice/Speech and Dialects, Acting
Education & Training
- Voice internship, American Repertory Theatre, Harvard University
- M.F.A., Pennsylvania State University
- B.F.A., University of Nebraska
What is the most important quality for any student in the performing arts to cultivate?
What is your favorite place on campus? Why?
My office in Henderson Hall. I have so many interesting conversations with creative, intelligent, passionate students and faculty there. From my windows I can look out on Henderson Lawn, Theatre 101, the Moss Center, and the Lyric Theatre -- places that amazing art and learning take place. (Also, my office is right next to Harry Potter's office under the stairs -- so I always have good company.)
What is the most satisfying or rewarding moment of your artistic process?
Close reading of a heightened text. I love uncovering the mysteries of poetic texts and then letting my mind, body, and voice discover what they mean in me.
Who has most influenced you? Why?
My parents. They were/are remarkable people and I hope, someday, to be as compassionate, grounded, and responsible as they.
- I do most of my 'paperwork' standing.
- I love zombie movies. World War Z was one of my favorites.
- I have always owned a siamese cat or two. Right now Sergei and Katusha are numbers 7 and 8.
- My husband and I were introduced by an Alexander teacher.
- Among my prized possessions are hand written letters to me, from Barbara Kingsolver, Jules Feiffer, and Helen Gurley Brown.
Honors & Awards
- The Pennsylvania State University's College of Arts and Architecture Alumni Award 2011
- CLAHS Excellence in Administration Award, Virginia Tech, 2010
- University Exemplary Department (Theatre Arts Department), Virginia Tech, 2004
- Director of Top Girls, Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival Regional Winner, 1993
- Finalist, Alumni Award for Teaching Excellence, Virginia Tech, 1992, 1993
- Arts and Sciences Teaching Excellence Award, 1992
- Outstanding Educator, Virginia Governor's School, 1992
Memberships & Affiliations
- Center for Leadership in Global Sustainability, fellow, 2013 - present
- Actors' Equity Association, member, 1992-present
- Voice and Speech Trainers Association (VASTA) President 2010 - 2012, member 1987-present
- National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) Chair of the Committee on Ethics 2011-present
- National Association of Schools of Theatre Accreditation Site Visitor 2009 - present
- Association of Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE)
- Southeastern Theatre Conference (SETC)
- Virginia Theatre Conference (VTC)