Theatre 101 is located at 200 College Avenue on the campus of Virginia Tech.
Opened in fall 2009, Theatre 101 is the newest addition to the School of Performing Arts performance spaces.
It is a 42' x 42' experimental black box space with a lighting grid at 18'6'' above a finished floor.
Audience risers and portable seating allow for flexible staging configurations.
Students and faculty use this venue primarily for workshop productions and regular performance classes.
Theatre 101 has strong technical capabilities and a glass walled lobby front that offers a new public face to the campus and the Town of Blacksburg.
Wheelchair seating is available in the front rows.
- Dimmer per circuit lighting control is via a full rack (96 dimmers) distributed in a parallel circuit configuration to 192 circuit locations.
- A raised control room with full view of the staging and audience area provides lighting, sound, and stage management control.
- A unique feature of the space is an east facing 12' x 18' high window providing for a more open feel in class and production preparation. For performance, a motorized blackout shade allows for full stage lighting control.
- This stage is housed in a new building with a street-facing lobby, a box office and dressing room support.
- On the second floor of the building is a 1,500 square foot rehearsal hall with a full mirror wall and sprung bamboo flooring.