Areas of Expertise
Cello and Bass
Research/Production: String Quartet
Teaching Areas: Cello, Bass, Fine Arts
Education & Training
- M.M., Eastman School of Music
- B.A., New England Conservatory of Music
What is the most important quality for any student in the performing arts to cultivate?
I think the most important quality for any student in the performing arts to cultivate would be to develop a serious, long lasting RELATIONSHIP to the work. That usually means daily commitment to tasks that can be frustrating at times. It's the amount of effort over the long haul that can become so rewarding.
What gives you the most satisfaction as a teacher?
The most satisfying thing for me about teaching is watching students form and grow over a period of 4 years. I love the musical maturity that comes from exposure to many different aspects of the art that one experiences in college.
This may not surprise anyone whose driven with me, but I drove a cab in Boston to support myself in college for awhile.
Memberships & Affliations
- Virginia Tech Academy of Teaching Excellence
- Founding Member of Kandinsky Trio
Honors & Awards
- 2012 Alumni Award for Teaching Excellence at Virginia Tech
- The Albert Lee Sturm Award for Faculty Excellence in the Creative Arts from Virginia Tech
- NEA Meet the Composer Award
- 2010 Certificate of Teaching Excellence Award at Virginia Tech