The Virginia Tech Choirs are open to all Virginia Tech students, undergraduate or graduate, of any major. The choirs sing the finest choral repertoire from all time periods and genres, frequently performing on their own and combined with all VT Choirs, the Blacksburg Master Chorale, and orchestra to perform major works with orchestra.
An audition is required for each choir. Auditions for Tech Men and Women’s Chorus are held during the first week of classes each semester (fall and spring). Auditions for Chamber Singers are ONLY held on the first Monday-Wednesday of FALL semester (no open auditions in spring). Specific audition sign-up times will be posted on each conductor’s doors no later than the Thursday before each semester. To reserve your audition time, sign up on the audition schedule posted by each conductor’s door. For the audition, you will be asked to:
- Vocalize throughout your range on five-note scales.
- Hear a brief (four-note) melody on the piano and be able to sing it back as accurately as possible.
- Sing My Country ‘Tis of Thee (find the music/words/piano accompaniment here). If this song is completely unfamiliar, you may sing the melody to Amazing Grace.
- Consideration for Chamber Singers requires a sight-reading test. Sight-reading is not always required for Tech Men or Women’s Chorus.
Chamber Singers - Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays, 3:35 to 5:15 p.m.
Conducted by Dr. Dwight Bigler
- Chamber Singers is the most select choral ensemble on campus. Auditions for Chamber Singers only happen in fall semester. If you are interested in being considered for Chamber Singers, you must:
- Complete your audition on the first Monday–Wednesday of fall semester. The call-back list will be posted by noon on Wednesday. Call backs are held, by section, during the scheduled Chamber Singers rehearsal time Wednesday afternoon.
- Be able to commit to singing in Chamber Singers for the entire school year.
- The Virginia Tech Chamber Singers have performed at VMEA and ACDA conferences, the Washington National Cathedral, and Carnegie Hall.
- The Chamber Singers have toured internationally, performing throughout Ireland in 2015 and Italy in 2012. Our next tour is to Spain in May 2019.
- We have collaborated with the American Opera Theater and regularly perform with the New River Valley Symphony Orchestra.
Tech Men - Mondays & Thursdays, 5:30 to 6:55 p.m.
Conducted by Mr. Jeb Sturgill
- This brotherhood of singers is an audience favorite, performing music from the Renaissance to Barbershop and vocal jazz, spanning diverse international cultures.
- With a sound uniquely our own, we infuse concerts with richness of harmony, humor, and inspiring majesty.
- We frequently join the other VT choirs to perform major works
Women's Chorus - Mondays & Wednesdays, 5:30 to 6:55 p.m.
Conducted by Dr. Hysoo Yoo
- Our Women's Chorus is a dynamic organization specializing in the wonderfully diverse repertoire for women's voices.
- We frequently join the other VT choirs to perform major works for choir and orchestra.
Have you sung in a Virginia Tech Choir before?
- All singers must re-audition each Fall Semester. If you are in a choir during Fall Semester, you do not need to re-audition for Spring Semester.