Our music, theatre, and cinema graduates go into a wide range of jobs and areas of advanced studies, carrying with them the artistic skills and practices they gained while at Virginia Tech. If you are an alumni of any of our programs, please feel free to fill in the Alumni Updates Form!
Theatre & Cinema
Many of our Theatre & Cinema graduates make their way in the professional art world, as actors, directors, technicians, cinematographers, or teachers in established companies or by even starting their own companies.
Some use the skills gained as arts practicioners to reach goals outside the arts, including law school, M.B.A. studies, digital media, and marketing. Below is just a small sampling of "where they are now."
- Samantha Eastman ('15, theatre) The following is a quote from Samantha: "Virginia Tech's Theatre Department was crucial in my decision to becoming an arts administrator after my undergraduate career. After taking an arts management course, I completely switched my original path and focused on graduating with a job in arts administration. Now I am the Marketing Director for the Columbus Symphony Orchestra and I credit a lot of my success to the attention from the professors and courses I took while at Tech."
- Lani Fu ('14, theatre) is living in New York and has a show premiering at La MaMa in February, 2016 called Jupiter (a play about power). This is in partnership with Kaimera Productions. On February 11-28, 2016 at the Parker Meridian, Lana will be performing in a show called A Foreign Body, written by Neena Beber and directed by Theresa Rebeck. Lana has also written her first full-length play entitled Love in the Time of Dengue and plans to "workshop" it later in 2016.
- Coryn Carson ('13, double major with Communications) began her summer after graduation by successfully walking the Camino de Santiago in Spain. She now lives in New York and works at Samuel French, Inc.
- Felicia Fields ('13, performance option) has begun to work at Walt Disney World as a performer in Orlando, FL.
- Hannah Deloach ('12, cinema option) is living Los Angeles, CA, has her own photography company, and is doing freelance work in film and television.
- Matt Donnelly ('12, design/tech) is a freelance lighting technician in New York whose recent work includes New York Musical Theatre Festival and Signature Theatre.
- Jessi Durham ('11, performance option) is working as a performance artist for a stunt show in China. Please check out some of her amazing work on these YouTube videos: Tianjin Car Show; Tianjin Strike Force Water Show; and Tianjin Strike Force Stunt Show 2013.
- Adam S. Ressa ('10, theatre) is an Associate Set Decorator for Walt Disney Imagineering, based in Orlando, FL.
- Elizabeth Roberts ('98, theatre) is starring in the new movie Old Fashioned opening in theatres on February 13, 2015.
Please also check out the articles about some our our School of Performing Arts alumni on the Arts@Virginia Tech website.
Our music graduates are regularly accepted into leading graduate programs, perform professionally throughout the United States, and include some of the finest music educators in the Commonwealth of Virginia and mid-Atlantic region.
These links to some of our graduate's home pages provide a sampling of information.
- J. Scott McKenzie, composer/arranger/conductor
- Brian Nozny, percussionist and composer
- Kurtis Parks, songwriter/performer
- Peyden Shelton, trumpet
Music graduates who recently achieved significant professional distinction:
Kristen Fowler, '13, recently won the professional audition for Second Horn with the Columbus, Indiana Philharmonic Orchestra.
Dakota Corbliss, '14, recently won the national horn audition for the United States Navy Band stationed in Washington, D.C.
Danielle Talamantes, '98, was featured in Virginia Tech magazine recognizing her singing career and her debut at New York City's Metropolitan Opera. Read the story, "Debuting on one of opera's biggest stages" in the spring 2014 issue.
Scott Stacey, '82, is a member of the Albany Symphony Orchestra (NY), which won a Grammy in 2014.
And for all our marching band alumni -
The Marching Virginians Alumni Association
Virginia Tech Alumni Association
For news and information on the whole Hokie Nation -
Virginia Tech Alumni Resource