We're surprisingly different, and we like it that way.
In the School of Performing Arts at Virginia Tech you will have uncommon experiences and be met with unexpected opportunities.
- We’re a strong and growing part of Virginia Tech, and we bring creativity and a very personal touch to our work.
- People are at the heart of our work. One of the most frequently heard comments about our students and faculty goes something like, “Everyone is so nice! The School of Performing Arts is a great community.”
- We have 66 creative faculty and staff. Many of them are nationally and internationally known and maintain active careers in their field — performance, composition, design, filmmaking, etc. But every one of them is devoted to your education. That is why we are here.
- Our more than 250 majors are not only some of the smartest and most versatile in the nation, they are passionate about their art and about making connections to the wider world.
- We love what we study and teach! Our students give their course work in theatre, music, and cinema the highest student perception of instruction scores on campus – with average overall scores of 5.7 out of 6.
- Our students regularly are involved in internships and apprenticeships with professional theatre companies, at significant music festivals, and with other non-classroom learning opportunities.
- We are nestled in the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains with a wealth of opportunities for hiking, biking, canoeing, watching the stars (and, of course, the occasional football game).
- Being a bit farther from urban centers means that we have the time to focus and to be very, very productive. We present over 250 public events each year – ranging from fully-mounted contemporary theatre productions to experimental interdisciplinary pieces, and from large symphonic concerts to documentary and narrative film.
- We host more than 30 nationally and internationally known guest artists in residencies every year.
- We have extraordinary facilities for our performances. In fact our programs are located in a section of campus where there are 11 performance spaces in a three block area! These venues range from the 1,300-seat Moss Arts Center to the 101-seat experimental theatre called Theatre 101.
- While we take joy in our work we also take your education seriously. All of our degrees are accredited by their disciplinary accrediting body (the National Association of Schools of Music or the National Association of Schools of Theatre).