"Jazz in the Elementary and Middle School Music Class " (Presented by Glen Chilcote)
June 24-27, 2015
This workshop is for any teacher or pre-service teacher interested in expanding their knowledge of American jazz. The main focus of this course will be to provide teachers with knowledge and practical applications for incorporating jazz into the elementary and middle school music classroom.
Performance applications for students in K-8, jazz theory, history, improvisation, movement and dance, and adapting jazz standards to the Orff instrumentarium. Teachers will leave this course with the confidence and knowledge to incorporate American jazz in any music curriculum.
Topics will include:
- Explore multiple genres of American jazz
- Build skills in arranging jazz standards for band and Orff instruments
- Develop tools and techniques for teaching improvisation
- Explore jazz movement including body percussion
- Build skills in understanding jazz harmony
- Gain a thorough understanding of 12 bar blues
FEE: $120 (for two continuing education credits)