March 1-3, 2022

Bassoonist and composer Joy Guidry joins Virginia Tech for a residency March 1 - 3 to share with us their musical research and pedagogical expertise, focused on the theme of “Radical Acceptance.” In Guidry’s own words, “I know that my Black, Fat, Queer and Non-binary body is valid in every way. Learning to love my whole self unconditionally will be a lifelong journey, but I am just so happy to be where I am today. This is my radical acceptance.”

Productive and Safe Ways to Talk to Students, covering how to support your Black and Queer students, why prioritizing self-care is essential, and radical justice in music.

Tuesday, March 1, 11 a.m. - 12 noon.  Black Cultural Center

Woodwind Masterclass, demonstrating the use of music outside the European classical tradition, and the use of non-traditional forms of media to teach music performance.
Wednesday, March 2, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m.. Squires Recital Salon 

Self-expression from the View of Hip Hop, R&B, and the Ballroom Vogue Scene, covering lyricism, improvisation, radical honesty, and Guidry’s artistic practice.
Thursday, March 3, 12:30 - 1:45 p.m. The Cube in the Moss Arts Center. 

This residency is supported by the Black Cultural Center, the Center for Humanities, the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences (CLAHS), the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology (ICAT), The LGBTQ+ Resource Center, the Office of Inclusion and Diversity, and the School of Performing Arts.